Hari Maya (26) gave birth to her fourth child, a boy in the early hours of the morning in Saurahawa PHCC (Primay Health Care Centre). She went into labour late at night and her husband and three of his friends from the village carried her for over an hour to the birthing centre on Khatiya (wooden bed post with jute lining).
When she was three months pregnant, she consulted her female community health volunteer Mathura. She gave Hari Maya a birth preparedness package which consists of a key chain which has a small book with messages on pregnancy, safe delivery, and nutrition. Hari Maya recalls, “This pregnancy was unlike my other three pregnancies, during which I never had any problem.…
Within March 31st 2010 following activities are completed
Save the Children at Bardiya
* Supported CHD for conducting two batches of TOT at center level to train 36 had participants.
* Conducted orientation at Bardiya to all HFIs and district supervisors on FCHV incentive.
* Organized CB-NCP basic training at Bardiya to 26 health workers those transferred from other districts.
* Completed traditional healers orientation
* Oriented and installed database Software. The data is being entered in district.
* Organized two days CB-NCP review meeting to HFs and community health workers level.
Ministry of Health and Population
Three NGOs have been selected for CB-NCP namely;
INFO /AIDS - community level in Dhankuta and Health facility level & community levels in Palpa.
IDF, Nepal – HF level in Dhankuta …
A baby up to 28 days of life after birth is called a newborn or a neonate. Nepal Demographic Health Survey 2006 estimates neonatal mortality to be 33 per 1,000 live births. Newborn deaths constitute an overwhelming proportion of under-five and infant mortalities, at 54 and 69 percent respectively. Therefore, it is an urgent priority of Ministry of Health and Population (MoHP) to reduce the newborn deaths drastically for achieving the Millennium Development Goal 4 of reducing under-five morality rate by two-third between 1990 and 2015.
Causes of Newborn Death
According to global statistics and hospital based data in Nepal, major causes of newborn deaths in Nepal are infection, birth asphyxia, preterm birth, and hypothermia. Three-quarters of all newborn deaths…